Star Canyon Restaurant
Tamale Tart with Red Pepper Custard,
Wild Mushrooms and Chicken Confit
- 4 red bell peppers, roasted, peeled and pureed, divided
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon roasted garlic puree
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 3 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 12 tablespoons vegetable shortening, at room temperature
- 12 tablespoons ancho pepper puree
- 2 cups water, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 onion
- 1 pound assorted wild mushrooms, julienned
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 pound Chicken Confit, julienned
- 1 whole chicken
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves, crumbled
- 4 cups olive oil
- 2 cups chicken fat
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Tart: In small saucepan over high heat, warm 3 of the warm peppers, pureed, stirring
constantly until very thick, about 5 minutes.
- In another small saucepan over medium heat, warm cream, reducing in volume to
about 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons. Whisk garlic puree into cream.
- In a medium bowl, whisk egg yolks lightly; drizzle into cream mixture. Stir slightly.
Add reduced bell pepper puree mixture to cream. Cover and set aside to cool.
- In medium bowl, combine Masa Harina, cornmeal, cayenne pepper, cumin and salt.
- In bowl of electric mixer, whip shortening until light and fluffy. Beat in dry
ingredients until mixture is smooth. Beat in ancho puree and remaining red bell
- Form dough mixture into a disk and pat evenly over bottom and sides of a 9-inch
tart pan with removable bottom. (Or, use 6-8 individual tart pans.) Fill tart dough
with reserved pepper custard and cover with plastic wrap.
- Place a round metal cooking rack inside of a wok. Fill with 2 cups water, with
rack positioned about 3 inches above water level. Bring water to a boil over high
heat; reduce to simmer. Place wrapped tart on rack and cover wok. Steam until custard
is set, about 30 minutes.
- Using two potholders, carefully lift tart off rack; remove plastic wrap and sides
of tart ring. Place on serving platter.
- In large skillet, heat oil until slightly smoking. Add onion, stirring continuously.
Add mushrooms and sauté 3 more minutes, until the mushrooms are fully cooked and
tender. Add Chicken Confit, oregano and lime juice. Heat for 2 minutes longer.
- Chicken Confit: Cut chicken into pieces, trimming neck and wings and removing
backbone; reserve bones for stock. Rub each piece of chicken with salt; place in
baking dish just large enough to hold the chicken pieces in one layer. Sprinkle
with pepper; add thyme and bay leaves. Cover and refrigerate 6 to 12 hours, turning
- Heat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Wipe excess salt from chicken pieces. Place chicken skin side down in skillet
and cook on top of stove over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add chicken fat and
olive oil to cover browned chicken. Cover skillet and cook in oven for 1 to 1 1/2
hours, allowing chicken to become very tender.
- Cool to room temperature. Pull meat from bones. Cut chicken into small julienne
strips and refrigerate.
Source: Chef Stephan Pyles, Star Canyon Restaurant, Dallas, Texas
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Restaurant Recipes