Such is Life Ensalada de Nopales Azteca
- 4 cups fresh nopales, scraped, washed and chopped *
- 2 tomatoes
- 1/2 onion
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 3 serrano chile peppers
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 of an avocado, sliced
- 3 tablespoons queso fresco or goat cheese
* Nopales preparation
- Bring a pot of water to boil. When it is boiling, remove from heat and add nopales.
Let them soak for about 5 minutes.
- While nopales soak, chop the tomatoes, onion, cilantro and peppers.
- Rinse the nopalitos with ice water and set them on a paper towel to drain.
- In a salad bowl, toss the chopped vegetables with the oil, lime juice, salt and
- Place the sliced avocado on top of the salad and garnish with cheese.
Yield: 4 servings
Nopales are healthy. One cup contains 60 calories and plenty of vitamin C.
Approximate values per serving: 203 calories, 13 g fat, 6 mg cholesterol,
4 g protein, 22 g carbohydrates, 8 g fiber, 102 mg sodium, 58 percent calories
Source: Chef Jorge Gonzales, Such as Life Restaurant, Phoenix, Arizona
Please shop Amazon here. We are an Amazon affiliate to help defray expenses in maintaining this site. Thank you.