Such is Life Queso Fundido Nopales
- 2 cups nopales, scraped, washed and cut into strips
- 1 cup ground chorizo sausage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups Chihuahua cheese, grated (or substitute shredded Monterey jack)
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 of an avocado, sliced
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Bring a pot of water boil, then remove pan from heat. Add the nopales and let
them soak for about 5 minutes. Remove nopales from pan and put them on a paper towel
- Put chorizo in sauté pan with olive oil and sauté on medium heat several minutes,
until cooked through. Break into small pieces.
- Place the cheese, nopales, chorizo and mushrooms in an oven-safe dish and bake
for 10 to 15 minutes.
Garnish with avocado and serve with flour or corn tortillas, if desired.
Yield: 4 servings
Approximate values per serving: 531 calories, 42 g fat, 100 mg cholesterol,
28 g protein, 11 g carbohydrates, 4 g fiber, 1,000 mg sodium, 71 percent calories
Source: Chef Jorge Gonzales, Such is Life, Phoenix, Arizona