Sussie's Bakery Famous Caramel Cake
This is also known as Yellow Butter Cake with Easy Caramel Icing.
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 1/4 cups sifted cake flour or 2 1/8 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon butter flavoring
- Pecan halves and grated orange peel
Easy Caramel Icing
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons white corn syrup
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cake: Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans
or one 9 x 13-inch cake pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together shortening and butter with an electric mixer
at medium speed. Gradually add sugar and beat until mixture is light and fluffy.
Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a small bowl, combine milk and flavorings.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with milk mixture to butter mixture, beginning
and ending with dry ingredients, and beating well after each addition.
- Ladle batter into prepared pans, dividing equally . Bake for approximately 30
minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. Let cake layers cool for 10 minutes
in pans. Invert onto cooling racks and let cool completely.
- Frost cake with Easy Caramel Icing.
- Garnish: Garnish with pecan halves and grated orange peel if desired.
- Easy Caramel Icing: In a 3-quart saucepan, combine all ingredients. Cook over
low heat, stirring until ingredients are dissolved. Continue to stir until mixture
reaches desired caramel color. For a thick, spreadable icing, cook mixture until
it reaches the soft ball stage, 234 to 240 degrees F. Less cooking time will produce
a thinner, pourable icing that will thicken as it cools.
- Remove icing from heat and transfer to a mixing bowl to cool until lukewarm.
Beat with an electric mixer at high speed until icing is thick and creamy. If icing
becomes too thick, thin with a small amount of corn syrup or milk.
Source: Sussie's Bakery, Marks, Mississippi - from Southern Lady/Taste Of