Like the cornbread served at the restaurant, this version is tall and cakey,
thanks to the eggs.
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 5 large eggs
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, sift or stir together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder
and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat the milk, oil and eggs.
- Add the cornmeal mixture and stir until just combined. (Batter will be wet and
a little lumpy.)
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted
in the center comes out clean and the corn bread is pulling away at the edges.
- Cool in the pan, then cut into 15 squares.
Yield: 15 servings
Posted by GayleL at Recipe Goldmine June 10, 2001.
Source: charlotte.com - From "Sylvia's Family Soul Food Cookbook."
Please shop Amazon here. We are an Amazon affiliate to help maintain Recipe Goldmine. Thank you.