Tarbell's Mark's Sunday Meatballs
- 2 tablespoons Romano cheese, freshly grated
- 1/4 pound ground veal
- 1/4 pound ground pork or pork sausage
- 2 1/2 white onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup organic, whole-wheat bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1 pinch ancho chili powder
- 1/2 egg yolk
- 1 whole egg
- 1 slice nitrate-free bacon, chopped
- 2 pinches black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Italian parsley, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 mushrooms, cleaned and finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon aged balsamic vinegar
- 2 organic tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup spring water
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- Mix meats, eggs, bread crumbs, parsley, 1 clove garlic, ancho chili powder, 1
pinch black pepper, 1 tablespoon kosher salt, bacon and 2 onions in a large bowl;
form into large meatballs.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a heavy, deep pan over medium heat. When the oil
is hot, add the meatballs; sear, then reduce heat and sauté them as you prepare
- In a soup pot, sauté 1/2 onion in 2 tablespoons olive oil until transparent.
Add 2 cloves garlic, mushrooms, 1 pinch black pepper, soy sauce, tomatoes, 1 pinch
kosher salt, balsamic vinegar, water and oregano; mix to combine. Place seared meatballs
in the sauce. Reduce heat; cook uncovered 1 1/2 hours or until the liquid has reduced
- Remove the meatballs; set aside.
- Using a food processor or blender, puree the sauce in batches. Return sauce and
meatballs to the pot.
- Serve over freshly cooked pasta.
Source: Chef Mark Tarbell - Tarbell's, Phoenix, Arizona