Thalhimers' Bakery Six Layer Chocolate Cake
This "takes the cake" as the all-time favorite at the Thalhimers' bakery!
- 1 cup solid shortening, such as Crisco
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 6 eggs
- 4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 4 1/4 to 4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened baking chocolate, melted
- 1 1/8 teaspoons hot water
- Yellow Cake: Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Beat shortening and sugar with a heavy-duty mixer on a medium setting for about
2 minutes. One at a time add the eggs; beat until yellow disappears. Alternately
mix in dry ingredients (salt, flour and baking powder) with the milk, ending with
the dry ingredients. Blend in vanilla extract. Pour batter into 2 baking pans (about
17 inches long by 12 inches wide by 1 inch deep) filled 1/4 inch deep. Bake for
30 minutes, checking for doneness after about 20 minutes.
- Cool. Cut into 6 rectangular slices 8 inches long x 4 1/2 inches wide.
- Chocolate Icing: Slowly mix hot water into powdered sugar. Add the melted chocolate.
Beat by hand until smooth. Add 1 1/8 teaspoons water. Beat again. Frost one layer
of cake and put another layer on top and frost. Let it sit a minute to set or the
layer may slip off. Repeat until all six layers are frosted. Frost top, sides and
ends. Cake size should be 8 inches long by 41/2 inches wide by 4 inches tall.
Posted by philocrates at Recipe Goldmine - May 30, 2001.
Source: This recipe is from Our Snowbear Scrapbook, which is available
in Richmond VA at Theatre IV, Ukrop's, Barnes & Noble with proceeds going
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.