The Copper Kettle French Bread
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 package yeast, dissolved in 1 cup warm water
- 5 to 6 cups white flour
- 1 egg white
- Scald milk and add butter, sugar, salt and hot water and allow to cool. Add yeast
dissolved in water. Add white flour to make a soft dough. Knead on floured board
until bubbles appear. Place in greased bowl and let rise until double.
- Punch down and knead for 5 minutes and let rise again.
- Punch down, divide dough in half, knead and shape into two long loaves. Sprinkle
cookie sheet with cornmeal and place loaves on it. Let rise to almost double and
bake at 375 degrees F for about 30 minutes.
- After taking from the oven, brush well with stiffly beaten egg white.
- Continue baking another 10 minutes or until golden brown.
Yield: 6 servings
Source: The Copper Kettle, Aspen, Colorado
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.