The Feed Bag Chicken Gumbo
- 4 to 6 chicken breast halves
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup fresh or frozen okra
- 1 cup fresh, frozen or canned corn
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Cajun Seasoning
- Dash of red hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon gumbo file (mixed with water until gooey)
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 cups uncooked rice
- Place chicken breasts in a kettle with enough water to cover. Cook until done,
about 20 minutes. Remove chicken to a platter. Strain chicken broth.
- Return broth to kettle. Add celery, green pepper, onion, okra, corn, thyme, oregano,
garlic powder, Cajun Seasoning, hot sauce and gumbo fil paste. Bring to a rolling
- Chop chicken into bite-size pieces and return to kettle. Add tomatoes. Bring
back to boil. If soup is too thick, add chicken broth.
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- To serve, place desired amount of rice in serving bowl. Add gumbo.
- Serve immediately.
Makes 8 to 10 servings.
Source: The Feed Bag, Louisville, Kentucky
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.