The Flying Biscuit Cafe Fried Green Tomatoes
- 6 cups canola oil
- 4 green tomatoes, medium size
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (1 1/2 cups flour reserved for the cornmeal breading mix)
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon celery salt
- 1/2 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Pinch paprika
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- 2 cups The Flying Biscuit Cashew Relish
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 large red jalapenos
- 1 1/2 cups cashews
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- Tomatoes: While preparing the dipping process for the tomatoes, heat oil in large
pot until the oil reaches 350 degrees F. You will need a slotted spoon to drop the
tomatoes into the hot oil.
- De-core and cut the ends off green tomatoes. Cut tomatoes 1/2-inch thick and
set aside in medium bowl.
- In small bowl, set aside 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour.
- In medium bowl, mix milk and eggs to create an egg wash.
- In large bowl, combine remaining flour, cornmeal and salt. Add celery salt, cayenne,
pepper, onion powder, and paprika. This is the cornmeal breading mixture for the
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper to place the breaded tomatoes on after
final dredging. Begin the dipping process by dredging the tomatoes in the all-purpose
flour, then the egg wash, and finally through the cornmeal breading mixture. Repeat
this process until all the tomatoes are breaded. When the oil has reached 350 degrees
F, begin frying until golden brown. Tomatoes will float to the top when finished
cooking. Drain on paper towels. Garnish with Cashew Relish and finish with a dollop
of goat cheese.
- Cashew Relish: Clean and pick cilantro leaves off stems. Cut stems off jalapenos
and roughly chop. Combine cashews, chopped jalapenos and cilantro in food processor
and pulse until combined. Do not puree, it should be a rustic mix. Pour mixture
into bowl, and add honey and vinegar and mix thoroughly.
Yield: 4 to 8 servings
Source: The Flying Biscuit Cafe, Atlanta, Georgia
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.