The Golden Lemon West Indian Bean Dip
- 6 bacon slices
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped onion (about 1 medium)
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 (19 ounce) cans white beans such as cannellini, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup freshly grated Monterey Jack (about 4 ounce)
- 1/2 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon or lime juice, or to taste
- Cayenne, to taste
- Tortilla chips or assorted crudités
- In a large skillet cook bacon over moderately low heat, stirring, until crisp.
Transfer bacon to paper towels and pour off all but 2 tablespoons fat. In reserved
fat cook onion and garlic with salt and pepper to taste over moderately low heat,
stirring, until softened and pale golden. Add chili powder and cumin and cook, stirring,
1 minute. Add beans and cook, stirring, 5 minutes.
- In a food processor, puree bean mixture with all remaining ingredients except
bacon until smooth and transfer to a bowl.
- Crumble bacon and stir into dip with salt and pepper to taste. Bring
dip to room temperature before serving.
- Serve dip with tortilla chips or crudités.
Makes 4 cups.
Dip may be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered.
Source: The Golden Lemon - St. Kitts, British West Indies
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.