The Lady and Sons Famous Chicken Pot Pie
- 1 (3 pound) chicken, cut up
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 3 stalks celery, cut into chunks
- 2 carrots, chunked
- 3 bouillon cubes
- 2 quarts water
- 2 teaspoons Lady's House Seasoning
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup onion, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 1 quart heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups frozen green peas
- 3 cups chicken stock
- Dash fresh ground nutmeg (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 package Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry Sheets
- 1 egg, beaten
- Wash and cut up chicken. Place chicken, onion, carrots, celery, water, bouillon,
salt and pepper in a sauce pot. Cook over medium heat until chicken is done and
stock is reduced by about one half. Remove chicken. Allow to cool.
- When cool to the touch, remove skin, bones, veins and cartilage. Cut chicken
into chunks. Drain and reserve stock and discard vegetables.
- In a sauce pot over medium heat, melt 1/2 cup butter, stir in 3/4 cup of flour,
stirring constantly until it begins to change color. Be careful not to scorch the
roux, never quit stirring. Toss in onion, garlic, and carrots, sauté ing and stirring
constantly for a couple of minutes. Add one quart of heavy cream, again stirring
constantly. Add 3 cups of chicken stock, rendered from the chicken pot. Stir until
- Toss in peas and chicken. Add nutmeg (if desired) Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
If filling is too thick, thin with a little additional chicken stock. Remove from
heat and add salt and pepper if needed. Pour chicken pie filling into an appropriate
size casserole dish.
- Remove puff pastry from freezer and allow to thaw. Brush pastry with egg wash
and cut into strips approximately 1 to 1/ 1/4 inch wide. Lattice crust on top of
pie filling. Allow a small amount of the crust to overlap on sides of pan.
- Place in preheated 350 degrees F oven. Bake until puff pastry is golden brown
and done, approximately 30 minutes.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.