The Lady and Sons Hoecakes
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal, or you may use a cornmeal mix such as Aunt Jemima's
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil or bacon grease
- Oil or butter for frying
- Mix all ingredients well except for the frying oil.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Drop mixture by tablespoonsful into hot
skillet. Use approximately 2 tablespoons batter per hoecake. Brown until crisp;
turn and brown on the other side.
- Drain on paper towels.
Yield: 17 cakes
Leftover batter will keep in refrigerator for up to 2 days.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.