The Lady and Sons Hush Puppies
- 6 cups peanut oil
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising cornmeal
- 1/2 cup self-rising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Using a deep pot, preheat oil for frying to 350 degrees F.
- Using a mixing bowl, stir together the cornmeal, flour, baking soda, and salt.
Stir in the onion.
- In a small bowl, stir together the buttermilk and egg. Pour the buttermilk mixture
into the dry ingredients and mix until blended.
- Drop the batter, 1 teaspoon at a
time, into the oil. Dip the spoon in a glass of water after each hush puppy is dropped
in the oil. Fry until golden brown, turning the hush puppies during the cooking
Yield: 35 hush puppies
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.