The Lady and Sons Tomato Grits
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup quick cooking grits
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/3 cup diced green onions
- 4 teaspoons processed Cheddar cheese, cubed (suggested: Velveeta)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 can diced tomatoes and green chiles (suggested: Ro*Tel)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a saucepan, bring the water and milk to a boil. Add the salt and slowly add
the grits and return to a boil, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Reduce the heat,
cover, and cook for 3 minutes. While stirring the grits add the 1/2 cup of butter
and stir until butter is melted. Cover and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the
grits are thick and creamy. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Using a skillet, sauté the onions in the remaining tablespoon of butter for 1
minute. Add the processed cheese, garlic powder, 1 1/2 cups Cheddar and onions to
grits, and stir until the cheese is melted. Add the tomatoes and mix well. Pour
the grits into a greased 8 x 11 x 2-inch casserole and bake for 40 minutes.
- Sprinkle remaining 1 cup cheese over the casserole for the last 5 minutes of
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.