The Mission Inn Tortilla Soup
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 whole jalapeno or serrano pepper, diced
- 6 ounces V-8 juice
- 2 tablespoons chicken stock
- 2 cups hot water
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 pinch chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 6 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 cup diced avocado
- 2 cups diced grilled chicken breast
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese, grated
- Heat butter and olive oil in heavy saucepan until butter melts. Add onion and
cook until translucent. Add tomatoes and continue to cook until soft.
- Add jalapeno
and V8 juice. Bring to boil and add stock and hot water. Bring to simmer. Add cumin,
paprika, chili powder, white pepper, and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally. Add
tomato paste and 1/4 cup cilantro. Cook, stirring occasionally.
- Mix cornstarch with 1 tablespoon water. Stir into tomato mixture. Simmer until
liquid is shiny, about 10 minutes.
- Cut tortillas into 1 1/2-inch strips and deep-fry in hot oil. Remove and drain.
- To serve: Distribute 1/2 cup avocado, 1 cup chicken breast, 1/8 cup chopped cilantro
and half the tortilla strips among 6 bowls. Ladle hot soup over this garnish and
top with the remaining avocado, chicken breast, chopped cilantro, and tortilla strips.
- Pass grated Cheddar on the side.
Source: Contributed by Executive Chef Joe D. Cochran Jr. from The Mission Inn,
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Restaurant Recipes