The Olive Tree Tzatziki (Yogurt Sauce)
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 4 cups plain yogurt (see note)
- 1 Japanese cucumber, chopped, skin on
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped, or 1 teaspoon dry
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped, or 1 teaspoon dry
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Line a strainer with a piece of cheesecloth and suspend over a bowl. Pour yogurt
over cheesecloth. Excess liquid in the yogurt will drain into the bowl. Refrigerate
overnight or until yogurt is reduced by one-third.
- Combine strained yogurt with remaining ingredients and refrigerate at least 6
Mojarrad suggests making your own yogurt for this dish. Bring 1 gallon
milk to a boil; turn off heat and cool to 110 to 115 degrees F. Mix 1/2 cup plain
yogurt into a small amount of warm milk, then add the mixture to the pot of milk.
Pour into a non-corrosive covered container. Place in a foam ice chest and let sit
overnight. Refrigerate two days before using. Makes about 4 cups.
Approximate nutritional information, per 1/4 cup per serving (not including
salt to taste): 40 calories, 2 g total fat, 1 g saturated, 10 mg cholesterol, 30
mg sodium, 1.5 g protein, 4 g carbohydrate
Source: The Olive Tree - Honolulu, Hawaii
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Restaurant Recipes