The Yellow House Apple Pie
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 6 apples (a combination of Golden Delicious and Granny Smith)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar plus 1 tablespoon for sprinkling on the crust
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup ice water
- Peel, core, quarter and then slice the apples.
- In a large bowl, add flour and cinnamon to apples and toss. Set aside while making crust.
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a bowl stir together flour and salt. Add shortening and gently rub and work
mixture with fingers until it's the size of small peas. Do not overwork, and
use a gentle touch.
- Add half the water and quickly toss through the flour mixture. Add the remaining
water a little at a time and continue working until dough is slightly moistened
and sticks together. Gently form dough into a ball. Cover with plastic wrap and
chill for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Separate chilled dough into two flat rounds. Roll out the bottom crust on a lightly
floured surface. Move the dough often to prevent sticking. (Keep surface lightly
- Roll dough to approximately 12-inch circle. Carefully place in the bottom of
a pie pan.
- At this time, add the sugar to the apple mixture and toss. Place the apple mixture
in the pie pan. Dot with small bits of cold butter.
- Roll out the top crust into a 12-inch circle. Fold dough in half and cut small
slits along the fold. Place the top crust over the filling. Press top and bottom
crust together firmly and trim overhang. Flute edges.
- Sprinkle a little additional sugar over the crust.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Reduce temperature to 350 degrees F and
bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown and filling juices are bubbly through
Yield: 8 servings
Nutrition per serving: 440 calories, 22 grams fat (6.7 grams saturated, 45
percent fat calories), 3.8 grams protein, 59 grams carbohydrate, 7.5 milligrams
cholesterol, 3 grams dietary fiber, 318 milligrams sodium
Source: Kathy Hornung, The Yellow House Cake and Pie Company, Hayden, Idaho
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Restaurant Recipes