The Back Street Deli Door County Cherry Bars
- 1 1/4 cups flour (divided)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 cup frozen Door County Cherries (see note)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter an 8-inch square pan.
- In bowl, combine 1 cup of the flour, the butter and powdered sugar. Beat until
smooth. Pat into prepared pan with fingers.
- Bake in preheated oven until golden brown, about 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine cherries with vanilla extract and toss. Set aside.
- Beat eggs in bowl slightly. Gradually add sugar, beating until thick and light,
1 to 2 minutes.
- In separate bowl, combine remaining 1/4 cup flour, the baking powder
- With spoon, stir dry ingredients into egg mixture until well blended.
- Stir in walnuts and marinated cherries.
- Immediately spread top layer over bottom layer.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until deep golden brown.
- Cool in pan on rack.
Yield: about 12 servings
Do not thaw cherries. If Door County cherries are not available, frozen
Bing cherries can be substituted. Do not use canned cherries in this recipe.
Source: The Back Street Deli, Eagle, Wisconsin
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.