Thelma's Deep Dish Apple Dumplings
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 2 (20 ounce) cans sliced apples, drained (save juice)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 teaspoons red hots candy
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup red hots
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Have ready six 10-inch deep dishes.
- Dumpling: Mix apples and other ingredients. Roll out pastry (the size of a small egg) into
a 10-inch round circle; line deep dish. Let hang over sides. In bottom of each,
put a small pat of butter and 1 teaspoon red hots. Put in apples, dividing equally
into the 6 deep dishes. Fold dough over top; place on sheet pan. Bake for 45 minutes.
- Sauce: Heat candy in apple juice to dissolve candy.
- Boil and mix 2 tablespoons cornstarch with 2 tablespoons cold water. Add to mixture
and continue to cook until clear.
- Serve hot over apple dumplings.
- Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for an extra treat.
Source: Thelma's Restaurant at the Ramada Inn - Effingham, Illinois
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Restaurant Recipes