Tony Roma's Onion Ring Loaf
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 4 to 6 white onions
- 1 cup milk
- 3 eggs, beaten
- About 2 cups pancake mix
- Slice onions crosswise and separate into rings.
- Combine milk, eggs and salt to taste in mixing bowl. Soak onion rings in mixture
for 30 minutes.
- Place pancake mix in shallow bowl.
- Heat oil for frying in skillet to 375 degrees F.
- Remove onion rings from milk mixture, dip in pancake mix and place in hot oil.
Fry rings until golden brown.
- Drain fried onion rings on paper towels.
- Pack fried onion rings solidly, but loosely, without pressing, into 8 x 4-inch loaf pan.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Turn onto serving plate.
- Garnish with parsley.
Each serving contains about: 377 calories; 1,069 mg sodium, 54 mg cholesterol;
9 grams fat; 64 grams carbohydrates; 10 grams protein; 1.11 grams fiber
Presented by: Rose Dosti, L.A. Times Culinary SOS column, 1/26/95, H27. "DEAR
SOS: Would it be possible to get the recipe for the onion loaf served at Tony Roma's
restaurants? It's outstanding. ~Betty
"Dear Betty: Thank you. We love the rings too. The Tony Roma restaurant
chain would not share its trade secret, but a close facsimile recipe was developed
by home economist, Donna Deane, director of The Times Test Kitchen. Tony Roma's
staff did, however, offer a tip: Pack the onions loosely (not firmly) in the loaf
pan so they do not become soggy."
Source: Los Angeles Times Food Section - see Note (this is not a TSR recipe!)
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Restaurant Recipes