Trader Vic's Chicken in a Coconut
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 2 cups diced or pieced, boned chicken
- 1 quart curry sauce
- 1 can or box coconut
- 1 quart milk
- 1/4 cup onion, cut fine
- 1 small or 1/2 clove garlic
- 1/2 cup finely diced green bell pepper
- 6 tablespoons fresh peeled tomatoes, with seeds removed
- 6 tablespoons diced fresh or canned pineapple
- 1/8 teaspoon grated or ground ginger root
- 2 teaspoons to 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 6 to 8 tablespoons flour
- Curry Sauce: Let coconut stand in warm milk; strain through cheesecloth, using
1 cup of milk each time or until coconut is well drained of essence.
- Blender method:
Put 1/2 cup warm milk into blender and then add coconut and blend; drain and add
more warm milk. Repeat until you feel you have removed all the essence from the
coconut. Squeeze dry the coconut and throw away.
- Set aside coconut milk until ready
for use. This may be done a day in advance, as well as the chicken.
- Sauté onion, garlic and green pepper in butter.
- Add remaining ingredients to onion mixture.
- Slowly add coconut milk. Simmer slowly until thickened.
- Add chicken last. Do not add salt until this is all put together - otherwise the mixture will
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Restaurant Recipes