Trader Vic's Sea Bass Napolean
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Sea Bass Napoleon
- 1 (6 ounce) sea bass, cut into 2 thin slices
- 2 tablespoons Guajillo Chile Marinade
- 1/4 cup Coconut Lemon Grass Reduction Sauce
- 10 to 20 scallops, sliced into 2 thin pieces
- 1 teaspoon blackened seasoning, galangal powder blend
- Neutral oil
- 1/3 cup currant, stemmed, or yellow and red pear tomatoes
- 1/2 ounce baby spinach, fresh
- 1 ounce enoki mushrooms
- 1 (1 ounce) thinly sliced smoked salmon
- 1 sprig rosemary, 4 inches in length
- 1/4 avocado, diced
- 1 teaspoon orange tobiko (Japanese flying fish roe)
Coconut Milk and Lemon Grass Reduction Sauce
- 1 quart coconut milk
- 3 1/2 stalks lemon grass, trimmed cleaned and bruised
- 1 ounce chipotle puree
- 4 ounces granulated sugar
- 1 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- Heavy cream, as needed if sauce breaks
Guajillo Chili Marinade
- 1 1/4 pounds dry Guajillo chiles, cleaned
- 1 to 2 quarts rice vinegar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 12 ounces sriracha chili paste (Thai chili paste)
- 1 pint Ginger Oil,
- 8 ounces ginger, bruised
- 1 cup olive oil
- Sea Bass Napoleon: Baste raw bass pieces with Guajillo chile marinade and set
aside. Heat coconut reduction sauce and set aside; keep warm.
- Brush scallops with blackened galangal powder blend and sear quickly, set aside
and keep warm.
- Heat sauté pan with little oil at medium low heat. When oil is hot, add bass,
careful not to burn fish. Chile marinade contains a lot of sugar so watch your temperature,
keep it low.
- Blacken tomatoes in 1 tablespoon of neutral oil. Add spinach and enoki mushrooms.
Cook down until spinach has wilted and sauce is hot. Check on bass and turn when
- Plate the dish when fish is done. Place coconut reduction sauce on large plate
to cover completely. Place spinach mushroom mixture in center of plate. Place largest
piece of bass on top of spinach. Place scallops on top of bass. Cover scallops with
smoked salmon slices (salmon is chilled or at room temperature, do not cook). Cover
salmon with second piece of bass and use rosemary sprig to hold it all in one place.
Add avocado around the outside of fish and garnish with tobiko.
- Coconut Milk and Lemon Grass Reduction Sauce: Place coconut milk and lemon grass
in large pan and bring to simmer, do not boil. Reduce heat by 65 to 70 percent and
cool. Add remaining ingredients working in slowly and tasting so as not to over-season.
Chill and hold. Use heavy cream if sauce breaks.
- Guajillo Chili Marinade: Place dry chiles in large stockpot and cover with
rice vinegar. Place sugar on top and bring to simmer, allow to cook until chiles
are tender. Place chiles in blender and puree. Use liquid as needed for puree.
- Add ginger oil to 2 quarts of the puree and mix well.
- Ginger Oil: Mix and bring to a boil, then leave at room temperature for 2 hours. Strain.
Yield: 1 serving
Posted by GayleL at Recipe Goldmine - May 7, 2001.
Source: Recipe courtesy Tony Baran, Trader Vic s, Beverly Hills, CA
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Restaurant Recipes