Union Hotel Mud Cake
- 7 squares bitter chocolate
- 12 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups strong coffee
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Topping: (make just before serving)
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Heat chocolate, butter (yes, that is 12 tablespoons) and coffee to melt.
Stir to blend well. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Beat in bourbon, eggs and vanilla extract. Sift dry ingredients together.
Add to wet mixture and beat with a wooden spoon or wire whisk. Divide into 2
greased and floured loaf pans
- Bake at 275 degrees F for 45 to 55 minutes. Cool 10 minutes and turn out.
- Topping: Beat until the mixture just barely stands in peaks. Serve atop
Source: Union Hotel, Benicia, California