Union House Restaurant White Bean Chili
- 1 pound small white beans
- 1/2 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 cup finely diced carrot
- 1 rib celery, finely diced
- Vegetable oil to sauté vegetables
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 dried pasilla chili (optional)
- 2 1/2 to 3 quarts chicken stock
- 1 ham bone or smoked ham hock
- Sour cream for garnish
- Warm taco wedges or fried tortilla strips for garnish
- Minced chives for garnish
- Soak beans overnight. Drain; rinse.
- Sauté onion, chili powder, cumin, carrot and celery in oil in 7-quart Dutch
oven or stockpot over medium heat until soft. Add salt and pepper. Soak pasilla
chili in warm water until soft, then stem and seed. Add to chili with stock
and ham bone or ham hock.
- Bring to boil and simmer 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until beans are cooked through.
- Remove ham bone and adjust seasonings. Puree half of soup in blender or
food processor if desired.
- Serve hot. Garnish with spoonful of sour cream and taco wedges or fried
tortillas and minced chives.
Makes 12 servings.
Variation: Recipe also can be cooked in ovenproof casserole in 325 degrees F
oven. Bring to boil on stove top before putting in oven.
Source: jsonline.com - John R. Mollet, chef