Union House Restaurant
Wild Rice Salad with Vinaigrette
- 6 cups cooked long-grain wild rice
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped dates (pits removed)
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup diced green onions
- 1 cup vinaigrette dressing (from following recipe or purchased)
- 1/2 cup chopped, toasted pecans
The Union House Vinaigrette Dressing
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups red wine vinegar
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 4 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- Salad: Mix together the rice, dates, carrots, green onions and vinaigrette
dressing. Refrigerate mixture overnight to blend flavors. Add pecans just prior
to serving. Serve with chicken or fish.
- The Union House Vinaigrette Dressing: In food processor, combine sugar,
vinegar, salt and pepper. Slowly add oil, mixing until combined. If a food processor
is not available, the dressing can also be mixed by hand using a wire whip.
Yield: 12 to 14 servings; about 4 1/2 cups dressing
Can be served cold, at room temperature or hot.
Variation: Add dried apricots, golden raisins or currants to the salad.