Union Oyster House Clam Chowder
- 10 cups clam juice
- 2 pounds baking potatoes, like russets, peeled and diced
- 4 pounds fresh or frozen clams, shelled and diced
- 1/4 pound salt pork, diced
- 2 small onions, diced
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup flour
- 2 pints half-and-half
- Salt and pepper
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- Dash Worcestershire sauce
- Bring the potatoes and the clam juice to the boil. Cook until the potatoes
are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Add the clams and any of their liquid. Cook
about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Add the pork to a sauté pan and cook over low heat until rendered. Add the
onions and cook until transparent. Add the butter and allow it to melt. Add
the flour and cook until slightly colored. Add a bit more flour if necessary
if the mixture is too soft. Bring the clams, juice and potatoes back to the
boil. Gradually stir in the cooked roux. Bring to a rolling boil to thicken.
Stir continuously while cooking. Beat the half-and-half and add to the soup.
It may not be necessary to use all the half-and-half; the soup should be thick.
Adjust the seasoning and add a dash of hot pepper sauce and Worcestershire sauce
Yield: 10 servings
Source: recipe courtesy Union Oyster House