Upstairs on the Square Strawberry Shortcake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon cardamom
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 4 ounces (1/2 cup) cold butter, cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Raw sugar (turbinado sugar), for sprinkling
- 1 quart strawberries, hulled
- Approximately 1/3 cup sugar
- Fresh lemon juice, as needed
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Shortcake: Place the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, cardamom
and lemon zest in the bowl of an electric mixer with the paddle attachment.
Add the butter.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, egg and vanilla extract. Add
to the flour mixture, and mix just to bring together.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured counter. Knead gently for 1 minute. Flatten
to a disk a half-inch thick. Cut into 8 pieces. Sprinkle the tops with raw sugar.
Place on a baking sheet and bake at 375 degrees F for 10 minutes or until golden.
- Strawberries: Slice the strawberries into a bowl. Sprinkle with
1/3 cup sugar, or whatever amount seems right, depending on the sweetness of
the strawberries. Squeeze in a few drops of lemon juice.
- Topping: Whip the heavy cream with the sugar and vanilla extract.
- Serve the shortcakes topped with strawberries and whipped cream.
Yield: 8 servings