Verbena Red Lentil Spread
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 4 whole cloves
- 1/2 small head garlic, cloves separated and peeled
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 carrot
- 2 bay leaves
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided, plus additional for serving
- 1 tablespoon salt, plus additional for seasoning
- 1/2 cup red lentils, picked over for stones
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground fennel seed
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Stick whole cloves in the onion, then place it, the garlic, celery, carrot,
bay leaves, 1/4 cup of the olive oil and salt in a medium-size pot together
with 3 cups of water. Bring to a simmer; cook for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, wash the lentils in several changes of cold water until the water
is clear. Soak lentils in fresh cold water for 30 minutes. Drain and add to
- Toast the coriander and fennel in a dry pan a few minutes until fragrant,
then add them, together with the red pepper flakes and black pepper, to the
vegetable bouillon. Simmer until lentils are tender, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Remove bouillon from heat; bring to room temperature. Discard onion, celery,
carrot and bay leaves. Stir in the remaining half cup of oil and adjust seasonings.
Place spread in a serving bowl, and cover with a thin layer of extra-virgin
- Serve at room temperature.
Leftover spread can be refrigerated up to one week.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.