Veronique Chicken Breasts with
Mascarpone and Fresh Spinach
For the stuffing
- 2 pounds fresh spinach
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic
- Pinch dry mustard
- Pinch nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 4 ounces mascarpone
For the chicken
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Leaves from 2 sprigs thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon peel
- 1/2 clove garlic
- 6 leaves basil
- 2 sprigs parsley
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 plump boneless chicken breast halves (10 ounces each), preferably with skin on
For the sauce
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 shallots
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes, diced fine
- 2 sprigs parsley, chopped fine
- 4 leaves basil, chopped fine
- 1 scallion, chopped fine
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- To make the stuffing: Wash and chop the spinach. Heat a sauté pan. Add the
butter and sauté the garlic, mustard and nutmeg for 30 seconds. Add the spinach.
Sauté until wilted. Then add the cream and bread crumbs. Season with salt and
pepper. Remove the filling to a large mixing bowl. Fold in the mascarpone and
adjust the seasonings to taste. Chill for 1 hour.
- To make the chicken : Make a seasoning rub for the chicken by placing the
kosher salt, pepper, thyme, lemon peel, garlic, basil, parsley and olive oil
in a coffee grinder or blender. Puree to a fine mixture. (This can be made one
day in advance and refrigerated until ready for use).
- With a small paring knife, make one long slit down the center of each chicken
breast, being careful not to pierce the breast all the way through. With a pastry
bag using a No. 6 round tip, fill each breast with a portion of the stuffing.
If you don't have a pastry bag, spoon in the stuffing, pressing a bit to
make sure each breast is well stuffed.
- Place the breasts, skin side up, on a baking sheet. Rub the seasoning mixture
over the skin. Bake at 350 degrees F for 18 to 22 minutes, or until the internal
temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- To make the sauce: In a saucepan, place the cream, shallots, white wine
and chicken stock. Bring to a simmer and let cook until the liquid is reduced
by a third. Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- To serve: Place a portion of sauce on the plate, then place the breast on
Source: BostonHerald.com - from Chef Donald Chapelle, Veronique