Whistler's Walk Cajun Cafe
Chicken and Sausage Gumbo
- 1 chicken
- 4 links hot sausage
- 5 onions
- 5 to 6 ribs celery
- 1 bunch green onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1/3 bunch fresh parsley
- 4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 to 6 chicken bouillon cubes
- 8 quarts water
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Gumbo: Boil the chicken in the 8 quarts of water, remove, cool and bone the chicken.
Be sure to save the broth. Cut sausage into rings and brown either in the oven
or in pot. Chop all the veggies.
- Now make your roux (see below). When it gets to the right color, immediately
add celery and onions and cook until wilted, stirring constantly. Slowly add
broth, stirring continuously. When this is all together, add chicken, sausage
and other ingredients and cook for about 3 hours over medium to low heat.
- Serve over hot rice topped with fresh green onions. In Louisiana, they like
to serve potato salad as a side dish and, of course, hot-toasted French bread.
- Roux: Heat the oil to hot, add flour, stirring constantly, cook over medium
heat until the color of dark chocolate. You must stir it continuously.
Source: Whistler's Walk Cajun Cafe - Gulf Breeze, Florida
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.