White Eagle Mushroom Barley Soup
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 6 ounces Polish dried mushrooms*
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2/3 cup barley
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup peeled and diced potatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cups heavy cream
* Can be purchased at import grocery stores; or can substitute dried porcini
- In a medium bowl cover mushrooms with a 2 1/2 cups boiling water. Place
a small plate over the bowl to keep the heat inside. Soak mushrooms for 15 to
20 minutes or until softened.
- Drain mushrooms and reserve the liquid. Coarsely chop the mushrooms.
- In a large saucepan, over medium heat, sauté onions and in butter until
soft, about 3 minutes. Add carrots, barley, reserved mushroom liquid, chicken
stock, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low and cover and simmer for about 1
- Add potatoes, bay leaves and chopped mushrooms and cook uncovered for about
20 minutes. Remove bay leaves and discard.
- Place heavy cream in a medium bowl. Stir in half of the soup and blend.
Add rest of the soup mixture and stir to combine. Remove from heat and serve.
Yield: 12 servings
Nutrition values per serving: 339 calories, 24 g fat, 23 g carbohydrates,
5 g fiber, 9 g protein, 84 mg cholesterol, 561 mg sodium
Source: White Eagle Restaurant, Niles, Illinois
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Restaurant Recipes