White Eagle Mushroom Barley Soup
- 6 ounces Polish dried mushrooms*
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2/3 cup barley
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup peeled and diced potatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cups heavy cream
* Can be purchased at import grocery stores; or can substitute dried porcini
- In a medium bowl cover mushrooms with a 2 1/2 cups boiling water. Place
a small plate over the bowl to keep the heat inside. Soak mushrooms for 15 to
20 minutes or until softened.
- Drain mushrooms and reserve the liquid. Coarsely chop the mushrooms.
- In a large saucepan, over medium heat, sauté onions and in butter until
soft, about 3 minutes. Add carrots, barley, reserved mushroom liquid, chicken
stock, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low and cover and simmer for about 1
- Add potatoes, bay leaves and chopped mushrooms and cook uncovered for about
20 minutes. Remove bay leaves and discard.
- Place heavy cream in a medium bowl. Stir in half of the soup and blend.
Add rest of the soup mixture and stir to combine. Remove from heat and serve.
Yield: 12 servings
Nutrition values per serving: 339 calories, 24 g fat, 23 g carbohydrates,
5 g fiber, 9 g protein, 84 mg cholesterol, 561 mg sodium
Source: White Eagle Restaurant, Niles, Illinois
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.