Woolworth's Frito Pie
- 2 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 pound ground chuck
- 1 teaspoon salt (more or less to taste)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cup water (more if necessary)
- 1 cup canned pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 5 cups Fritos corn chips
- 1/2 pound Cheddar or Monterey jack cheese, shredded
- Optional: chopped onion and diced fresh jalapenos for garnish
- Cook bacon in heavy skillet until fat is rendered. Add onion and garlic
and cook until onion is softened.
- Add ground chuck and cook over medium high heat, stirring and breaking up
lumps, until browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Pour off excess fat and add salt, chili
powder, cumin, and tomato paste.
- Slowly add water and simmer 10 minutes, adding more water if necessary.
Add beans until heated through.
- Divide corn chips among individual wide shallow bowls, top with chili. Sprinkle
cheese on top.
- Garnish with onion and jalapeno if desired.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.