Woolworth's Frito Pie
- 2 slices bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 pound ground chuck
- 1 teaspoon salt (more or less to taste)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cup water (more if necessary)
- 1 cup canned pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 5 cups Fritos corn chips
- 1/2 pound Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- Optional: chopped onion and diced fresh jalapenos for garnish
- Cook bacon in heavy skillet until fat is rendered. Add onion and garlic and cook until onion is softened.
- Add ground chuck and cook over medium high heat, stirring and breaking up lumps, until browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Pour off excess fat and add salt, chili powder, cumin, and tomato paste.
- Slowly add water and simmer 10 minutes, adding more water if necessary. Add beans until heated through.
- Divide corn chips among individual wide shallow bowls, top with chili. Sprinkle cheese on top.
- Garnish with onion and jalapeno if desired.