Z Tejas Chile Fudge Pie
- 2 teaspoons Ancho puree*
- 1/2 pound butter
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 (9 inch) unbaked pie shell
- * For ancho puree: Ancho chiles, which are dried poblanos, are dark brown peppers found in the produce section. Remove seeds and stem from one ancho chile pepper. Place ancho in a small saucepan with water to cover. Bring to a boil
and simmer until ancho is tender. Puree in a food processor.
- Melt butter and let cool to warm. Toast pecans and walnuts until lightly brown.
- Beat eggs well and then add sugars and flour. Beat until smooth. Add warm butter and mix well. (It is important for butter to be warm so chocolate chips will melt some.) Add chile puree. Stir in nuts and chocolate chips.
- Pour filling into pastry shell and bake at 325 degrees F for 45 to 60 minutes until done.
Source: The Austin American Statesman