Zazi Waffles with Caramelized Pecans
Serve Zazi Waffles with maple syrup and the caramelized pecans.
Yield: 8 servings
- 1/2 cup warm water (about 110 degrees F)
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon hazelnut extract
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Oil for pan
- 2 cups pecan halves
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Maple syrup
- Combine the water and yeast in a large bowl. Set aside for about 5 minutes, until the yeast dissolves and the mixture is foamy.
- Add the milk, flour, butter, vanilla extract, salt, hazelnut extract and sugar to the yeast mixture. Stir to blend. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let stand overnight at room temperature.
- Heat your waffle iron according to manufacturer's instructions. Just before cooking the waffles, whisk the eggs and the baking soda into the yeast mixture.
- Oil a large baking sheet.
- Combine the pecans, water and sugar in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Stir occasionally until the sugar caramelizes, about 5 minutes.
- Pour the caramelized nuts onto the prepared baking sheet, spreading them evenly. Let the nuts to cool for 5 to 10 minutes.
- When the waffle iron is warm, pour in about 1/2 cup of the batter. Close the lid and cook for 2 or 3 minutes. Carefully lift the lid to see if the edge of the waffle is golden brown. If it's still pale, close the lid and cook for another minute.
- Continue with remaining batter.
Per serving: 510 calories, 10g protein, 45g carbohydrate, 33g fat (10g saturated), 92mg cholesterol, 379mg sodium, 3g fiber
Source: Zazi, San Francisco, California - San Francisco Chronicle - August 15, 2001