Zinfandel Barbeque Sauce
Yield: 4 cups
- 1 tablespoon corn oil
- 1 1/2 cups red onion, finely chopped
- 3 cups chopped canned tomatoes with juice
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Hungarian sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon pure chile powder (not a blend)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup dark molasses
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- Heat oil in saucepan and sauté onion until translucent.
- Add remaining ingredients, except orange juice, stir well and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, let cool and add orange juice. Puree sauce in a blender or food processor.
This sauce will keep, tightly sealed in the refrigerator for about a week. It can also be frozen for later use