Zio's Italian Kitchen Chicken Pepperoni
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 to 6 ounces good quality sliced pepperoni
- 1 jar Bertolli Marinara (if you double this, use 3)
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 1 large sweet onion, julienned or large chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, julienned or large chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, julienned or large chopped
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced thick
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 small can black olives, drained and sliced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- Olive oil
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Grated Romano or Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Put 4 quarts water on to boil in a 6 quart pot. When water is boiling, add pasta.
- In hot skillet, add 2 teaspoons olive oil, then sauté onions, peppers, mushrooms and pepperoni until vegetables start to sweat. Add garlic, olives and chicken, stirring often. When chicken is white and onions are translucent, remove from heat (be careful not to overcook vegetables or everything will be too soft)
- Drain pasta when done.
- In large bowl add pasta, meat mixture, topped with grated mozzarella, covered with marinara and tossed lightly. Top with grated Romano or Parmesan to taste.
- Serve immediately.