This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Zoey's Deli & Bakery Carrot Dill Bisque
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 large Spanish onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 8 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1/2 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 1/2 pint heavy cream
- Melt butter in a soup pot and sauté the onions and celery along with the
bay leaf and a couple of sprigs of dill. Cook for 5 minutes until the vegetables
- Add the flour to make the roux and let cook on low for two minutes while
stirring constantly. Add the carrot chunks and then slowly add the chicken stock
while stirring. The chicken stock should cover the carrots. Bring the soup to
a boil and cut back to a slow simmer. Cook the carrot soup for about 30 minutes.
The carrots will be nice and soft and the soup will be slightly thickened.
- Remove the soup from the stove and puree in a cuisine art or soup blender.
The easiest way to puree a hot soup is to carefully strain the solids out of
the soup, preserving the liquid. Then just puree the solids. Add the pureed
carrots back to the soup. Season your carrot soup with salt and pepper and finish
with chopped dill and heavy cream and stir well.
Serves 6 to 8.
If you are counting calories, you may substitute the butter with either soy oil
or a good olive oil. Then finish the soup with a non-fat plain yogurt instead of
Source: Zoey's Deli & Bakery, Manchester, VT