Abby Dalton's Lamb Stew
with Parsley Dumplings
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds lean boneless lamb, from leg or breast, cut into cubes
- Well-seasoned flour
- vegetable oil
- Lamb bones, reserved from leg or breast
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 onion, peeled, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 sprigs parsley, chopped
- 10 to 12 bruised peppercorns
- Salt, to taste
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can chicken broth (optional)
- 3 or 4 carrots, scraped, cut into large pieces
- 3 large stalks celery
- 2 large onions, peeled, cut in large pieces
- 1 cup frozen or fresh peas
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 2 teaspoons double-acting baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 cup parsley, minced
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup cold buttermilk
- Parsley, chopped, optional
- Lamb Stew: Trim all fat from lamb; dredge in seasoned flour. Brown in hot vegetable oil
in skillet on all sides. Set aside browned lamb.
- Meanwhile, simmer bones with chopped celery, onion, bay leaf, parsley, peppercorns,
salt to taste and water to cover. Cover, simmer (do not boil) 3 to 4 hours, until
stock is well flavored.
- Strain stock; discard vegetables and bones. Add strained stock, a little at a
time, to hot lamb. Loosen cooked flour mixture, stirring with wooden spoon. Add
enough chicken stock if necessary, to make a very light gravy. Add remaining ingredients
except peas and dumpling mixture. Cover simmer (do not boil) until vegetables are
almost tender. Add peas and dumpling mixture. Cook until dumplings are done, about
12 minutes. Serve piping hot!
- Parsley Dumplings: Sift together dry ingredients. With knife, cut in butter until
mixture resembles corn meal. Work in chopped parsley.
- Beat egg yolks with buttermilk in separate bowl; add quickly to flour mixture
with fork. Do not beat mixture. Drop dough by small teaspoonsful into simmering
stew. Cover tightly, cook 12 minutes without peeking!
- Serve hot dusted with additional parsley if desired.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Celebrity Recipes