Abby's Pecan Apple Cake
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 5 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-grated nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tart apples such as Granny Smith, peeled, halved and sliced (3 cups)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons rum
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped pecans
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Brush the sides of an 8 x 3 1/4-inch spring-form
pan with the melted butter.
- Mix together 1/2 cup sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and 1/4 cup flour and sprinkle the
mixture evenly over the bottom of the pan.
- Wrap foil around the pan to prevent leakage. Starting at the outside edge, arrange
a ring of apple slices in the pan, slightly overlapping and pointing to the center.
(It will feel backwards.) Fill in the center with another circle of apples, with
some overlap occurring. Layer any remaining apple slices evenly, overlapping to
prevent the batter from escaping.
- With a wooden spoon or electric mixer, beat together the butter and 1 cup sugar.
Add the eggs, milk, rum, and vanilla extract. The batter will look curdled. Add
1 1/4 cups flour, the nuts, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, beating only until
the flour is completely incorporated. Pour the batter over the apples and spread
- Place the pan on a baking sheet and bake in the middle of the oven until a wooden
pick inserted in the cake comes out clean, about 70 minutes. Cover with a piece
of foil if the top begins to brown too quickly.
- Let the cake rest in the pan on a rack for 5 minutes, then, using a small, flexible
knife, gently separate the sides of the cake from the pan. Invert the cake on the
rack, letting it stay in the pan for another 10 minutes, then remove the pan, lifting
it up carefully.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Celebrity Recipes