Angela Lansbury's Power Loaf
- 2 cups boiling water 500 mL
- 1 1/2 cups cracked wheat 375 mL
- 3 tablespoons
shortening 50 mL
- 2 tablespoons honey 25 mL
- 1 tablespoon salt 15 mL
- 2 packets
active dry yeast
- 2/3 cup warm water 150 mL
- 4 cups stone-ground wheat flour
- 1 cup bran flakes 250 mL
- 3/4 cup quick cooking oats 175 mL
- 1/2 cup
wheat germ 125 mL
- In large bowl, pour boiling water over cracked wheat and stir.
- Stir in shortening,
honey and salt; let cool to lukewarm.
- Sprinkle yeast into warm water; let stand until frothy; add to wheat mixture.
- Gradually stir in 3 cups (750 mL) flour.
- Stir in bran flakes, oats and wheat germ.
Mix very well and cover bowl with damp cloth.
- Let rise, about 1 hour, until doubled
- Punch dough down. On floured surface, knead dough until smooth and elastic, blending
in as much of remaining flour as needed if dough is sticky. Divide dough in half
and place in 2 greased loaf pans.
- Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled.
- Bake in 350 degree F (180 degrees C) oven for 45 minutes or until loaves are
well browned and sound hollow when tapped.
Makes 2 loaves.
Please shop Amazon here. We are an Amazon affiliate to help defray expenses in maintaining this site. Thank you.