Barbara Eden's Chicken and Rice Supreme
Chicken and Rice
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided 50
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced 500 mL
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless
chicken, cubed 750 g
- 1/4 cup dry white wine 50 mL
- 1 (10 ounce/284 mL) can
cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup chicken broth 125 mL
- 1/2 cup sour cream 125
- 1 teaspoon curry powder 5 mL
- 4 cups cooked rice 1 L
- 1 cup frozen
peas 250 mL
- 1/2 cup green onions, chopped 125 mL
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese, grated 250 mL
- 1/4 cup dry
bread or cracker crumbs 50 mL
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons (25 mL) oil over medium heat: cook onion
and mushrooms until softened. Remove to mixing bowl.
- Add remaining tablespoon of oil to hot saucepan and cook chicken pieces (skin
removed) until golden brown; remove to bowl.
- Add wine to skillet, stirring to deglaze pan; add soup, broth, sour cream and
curry powder, whisking together until blended. Stir into chicken and mushroom mixture
along with cooked rice, peas and green onions; mix until well blended. Season with
salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer mixture to greased 10-cup (2.5 L) baking dish or casserole. Top with
a mixture of cheese and crumbs.
- Bake uncovered in 350 degree F (180 degree C) oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until
mixture bubbles and topping is golden brown.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Per serving for 6: 603 calories, 40 g protein, 23 g fat, 56 g carbohydrate.
Per serving for 8: 452 calories, 30 g protein, 17 g fat, 42 g carbohydrate