B. B. King's German Chocolate Cake
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate
- 1 1/4 cups butter
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups coconut
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- Cake: Melt chocolate and 1/4 cup of the butter in heavy bottom pan. Let cool.
- Cream together remaining butter and sugar in medium bowl. Beat in egg yolks.
Stir in vanilla extract and chocolate mixture. Sift together dry ingredients. Alternately
add dry ingredients and buttermilk to chocolate mixture.
- Beat egg whites until stiff in large bowl. Fold in chocolate mixture. Pour cake
batter evenly into the three prepared pans.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until cake springs back.
- Let cool on racks.
- Frosting: Combine evaporated milk, sugar, egg yolks and butter in a saucepan.
Add vanilla extract. Cook over medium heat, stirring continuously until thickened
(thick enough to coat back of spoon). Remove from heat. Stir in coconut and pecans.
Cool until thick enough to spread over cake.
- Place 1 cake layer on plate. Spread frosting evenly over top. Repeat with remaining
- Spread remaining frosting evenly over sides of cake.