This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Burt Reynolds' Beef Stew
- 3 slices bacon, cut into small pieces
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds boneless beef round, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 bay leaf
- Pinch of thyme
- 2 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
- 3 potatoes, cut into bite-size pieces
- 6 to 8 fresh mushrooms, sliced
- Cook bacon until crisp in a Dutch oven; reserve bacon fat, and drain bacon on
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in a plastic bag; shake beef in flour mixture
to coat completely.
- Brown beef in bacon fat, turning often. (Add a little more vegetable
oil if needed.)
- Add onion and garlic; cook for 3 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, broth, wine,
bay leaf, and thyme. Cover; lower heat, simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- Add carrots, celery, potatoes, and mushrooms. Uncover and cook until meat and
vegetables are tender.
- Sprinkle with reserved bacon.