Dick Clark's Meatloaf
- 1 1/4 pounds ground chuck
- 1 cup fresh onion,
- 3/4 cup fresh celery, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic,
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 eggs
- 2 1/4 teaspoons
- 1/3 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup stale sourdough bread
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3 slices bacon
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup carrots,
- 1 cup onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup celery, finely diced
- 1 package brown gravy mix
- 1 teaspoon fresh
- 2 teaspoons fresh minced rosemary
Fried Shaved Onions
- 1 large onion, sliced paper thin
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 8 cups mashed potatoes (your favorite recipe)
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Meatloaf: Place the ground chuck with the onions, celery, garlic, Worcestershire
sauce, eggs and salt and pepper in a large bowl. Gently mix.
- In a separate bowl, soak the bread cubes in milk until soft. Add cubes to the
ground chuck mixture and again gently mix.
- Line a large loaf pan with plastic wrap. Place meatloaf mixture in pan. Unmold
onto a large baking tray. Remove plastic wrap. Drape the bacon slices over the top
of the meatloaf.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 400 degrees F. Reduce heat to 350 degrees
F and continue to bake for 40 minutes.
- Southern Glaze: Combine all the ingredients. Brush the top and sides of the meatloaf
with the mixture and bake an additional 5 minutes to set glaze. Remove from the
oven and allow to set for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Sauté ed Vegetables: In a heated sauté pan, add the butter and diced vegetables
and lightly sauté . Keep warm until assembling dish.
- Rosemary Gravy: Prepare the brown gravy mix according to package directions.
Add garlic and rosemary. Simmer to combine flavors.
- Fried Shaved Onions: Toss onion shavings in a mixture of flour and seasoned salt.
- Deep fry until golden brown.
- To serve, place 2 cups mashed potatoes in the center of each plate. Arrange the
meatloaf on top of the mashed potatoes. Ladle the Rosemary Gravy over the slices
of meatloaf. Top with the Sautéed Vegetables and the Fried Shaved Onions.
Yield: 4 servings
Source: dispatch.com - Celebrity Fare: Great Dishes From the Stars