Elizabeth Taylor's Chicken with
Avocado and Mushrooms
- 1 California avocado (Hass), peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 (2 1/2-pound) chickens, cut into serving pieces
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 finely chopped shallots
- 3 tablespoons cognac
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Sprinkle avocado with lemon juice. Cover and refrigerate.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- In a large heavy skillet, over low heat, heat 3-4 tablespoons butter, and
sauté chicken until juices run yellow when pricked with a fork - about 35-40
minutes. Use two skillets if necessary, adding more butter as needed. Transfer
cooked chicken to a serving dish. Cover loosely with aluminum foil. Keep warm in
a 300 degree F oven for 15 minutes while preparing sauce.
- Add shallots to skillet. Cook over medium heat, stirring and scraping sides
and bottom of pan with a wooden spoon. Add cognac and wine, and bring to a boil.
Boil until mixture has almost evaporated. Add cream and boil 5 minutes longer.
- In a saucepan over high heat, sauté mushrooms in 3 tablespoons butter.
- Add chicken stock to cream mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring
constantly, until thick. Add mushrooms, remaining cognac and avocado cubes. Stir
until well blended. Pour over chicken. Sprinkle with parsley.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Source: Celebrity All-Occasion Cooking