Governor Edgar's Low Fat Chili
- 1/2 pound ground lean buffalo or sirloin
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped
green peppers (optional)
- 1 (8 ounce) can low-salt tomato sauce
- 14 1/2 ounces
very low sodium beef broth (canned or dry substitute)
- 1 (6 ounce) can low-salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Brown sugar, to
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans dark red kidney beans, undrained
- Cook beef, onion and green peppers over medium heat until beef is well done and
onion and peppers are soft.
- Strain all and run under hot water until beef loses
oily feel when touched.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
*Approximate composition per serving: 105 calories 3g fat 0mg cholesterol
Recipe approved by a cardiovascular dietician.
Source: Governor Jim Edgar - Illinois