Governor George Ryan's
Grandmother Roth's Banana Bread
- 1 1/2 cups (3 very ripe) bananas
- 1/2 cup shortening (margarine)
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon vinegar added to 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Mash the bananas.
- Cream the shortening, sugar, and eggs. Add the liquids. Add
the salt, flour and baking soda last.
- Fold in pecans.
- Pour into one greased bread pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour and 20 minutes or until a
wooden pick inserted comes out clean.
Source: Governor George H. Ryan, Illinois