Jackie Kennedy's Beef Stroganoff
- 2 pounds boneless beef sirloin
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons tomato juice or paste
- 1/4 cup grated onion
- Fresh sliced mushrooms
- Ask butcher to cut beef into strips. Season beef generously with salt and pepper.
Cover and let stand for 2 hours in cool place.
- In large skillet, whisk flour and 3 tablespoons butter over low heat until mixture
bubbles and forms a smooth paste. Slowly add beef broth, stirring constantly until
mixture thickens. Let boil for 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat and add sour cream alternately with tomato juice, still whisking.
Simmer slightly 1 minute; do not let boil.
- In separate skillet, quickly brown beef and onion in remaining 1 tablespoon butter
over medium heat. Add contents of meat pan to sauce; season with salt and pepper.
Simmer very gently or cook over hot water in double boiler for 20 minutes.
Makes 6 servings.
Source: A Treasury of White House Cooking