Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis' Baked Beans
- 4 cups dry navy beans
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 pound salt pork, diced
- 3/4 cup brown sugar or molasses
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/4 pound salt pork, cut into strips
- Cover beans with water in a saucepan. Bring slowly to a boil or soak overnight.
- Drain beans. Cover with fresh water and simmer slowly. When skins of beans start
to burst, the beans are sufficiently cooked.
- Drain and add onion, salt pork, sugar,
ketchup, mustard, salt, Worcestershire and boiling water.
- Place in greased casserole and top with salt pork strips.
- Bake covered in a 200
degree F oven for 6 to 8 hours. Uncover for last hour of cooking. Add additional
water or stock, if beans become dry.